Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Assignment 1-4-3



My popular culture topic of “Will e-readers (Kindles, Smartphones, etc.) eventually replace the traditional paper book?” applies to both the theories of stereotypes and rituals. Stereotypes may be that people who have an e-reader are usually either students or avid readers. E-readers can also fall under the theory of rituals depending on what people have or use them for.
Others may see those who have e-readers as sophisticated and into the latest technology. If the person in possession of an e-reader is young, they are more than likely a student who knows that it is easier to download all their textbooks onto an e-reader than carry a heavy load of books around campus. Another stereotype of e-readers are those who have a love for reading and find that it is nice having the convenience of multiple books on one devise. You often see them hanging out by themselves engrossed in reading something that totally interests them.
Rituals can also be applied to an e-reader. I have my scriptures and several religious books downloaded on my e-reader. Every morning, I take ten minutes and read from my scriptures. I like the e-reader for this purpose because I can mark my favorite passages and write notes without scribbling all over my paper copy. In the evening, before I fall asleep, I like to pull up one of my Church magazines and read an article by one of our leaders. These articles help me to clear my mind from the day’s events and also to give me hope and inspiration for the day to come.
For having an e-reader, I wonder how others perceive me especially when I pull it out at church instead of bringing out an actual book of scriptures like everyone else. Do others see me as irreverent? Should I be concerned about that? I did not realize the rituals I have created for myself in using my e-reader. I will be more conscious from now on whenever I pull my e-reader out. Is it being perceived as a stereotype or creating a ritual? 

No comments:

Post a Comment