Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Popular Culture & Artifact



Popular culture is what influences our life through media, art, music, technology, book and magazines etc. To me it is everything around me that helps to shape my life from the style of clothes I wear to the amount of technology I use every day.

In the business world, I have been a controller for troubled youth programs for five years. During that time, I have seen quite of few technological advances that continue to influence how I do my job. Some of these include: going from one monitor to two, advances in Microsoft software, and going from a simple phone to a smart phone. 

An example of a pop culture artifact is the ability to download books on an e-reader either on the computer or a portable device such as Amazon’s Kindle Fire or Barnes and Noble’s Nook. I would choose one of these for a couple reasons. One reason is because it is portable. You would no longer have to carry around a load of books especially if you can get all your textbooks onto the device. You would also be able to throw it in your purse and have it available wherever you go in case you find some idle time. The second reason is because it has a background light. I love being able to read at night without having a light on to disturb my husband. 



3 comments:

  1. Kindle is a good example of pop culture. It is for ever-changing the way people acquire reading material. Kindle, itself, is continually evolving for consumers by listening to what the customer wants in an e-reader. Kindle added a backlight because consumers wanted to be able to read in places with low light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technological advances since the 1980's are remarkable. Soon schools will have all of their textbooks on handheld devices instead of printed text. This will certainly make it easier and more portable, however I sure will hate to see the written word become a lost art, but that is progress I am afraid. In my job I also see the changes with the changing of technology. It is not have as great an effect on my job as it may have on someone in say retail, but the effects are still stark.

    Mark Cloninger
    Franklin University

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kindle is a great example of a popular item in our culture. It is amazing that it took the IPad to bring the price down.

    ReplyDelete